Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ruschell adds state title to wrestling family

By James Weber • jweber@nky.com

T.J. Ruschell was in his fourth grade when he watched his brother Kyle win the first of his two state wrestling championships in 2004.

The younger brother, like Kyle, won his first title in his junior year Feb. 19 at the Kentucky state meet in Frankfort.

T.J. Ruschell, a Ryle High School junior, beat Sean Fausz of Campbell County by pin in the third period to win the state title at 119 pounds. Ruschell led 8-2 when he ended the match, and had a 55-3 record.

Ryle's T.J. Ruschell won the Kentucky state championship match at 110 pounds Feb. 19 at Frankfort Convention Center. Ruschell won the match for his first state title.
“It’s been my goal ever since my brother won,” said Ruschell, who beat Fausz for the fourth time this year. “I know (Fausz) is watching tape on me and I’m watching tape on him. He’s gotten closer every time we’ve wrestled, and I’m glad I won.”
Ruschell, ranked third in the state going into the tourney, won three of his matches by pin and another by a 15-0 count. He beat the top two wrestlers in the state before getting to the final, including Will Bryant of Lafayette, 14-8. Bryant was ranked second.

“I knew I could beat them both. I knew it was going to be tough but I could do it,” Ruschell said. “I wrestled (Bryant) this year and lost to him in overtime. I got turned on my back but this time I was looking forward to it and fought it off.”

Wrestling is king in the Ruschell family. Father, Tim, has been head coach for his sons, including Keith, currently Ryle’s middle-school coach. Kyle completed a standout career at Wisconsin and is trying for the Olympics in 2012. Kyle, a two-time state champ and most outstanding wrestler at state in 2005, was at this year’s state meet helping T.J.

“(Keith) was my middle school coach and I couldn’t have done it without my brothers and my dad,” T.J. said. “Having Kyle here this week really helped me a lot.”

Said Tim: “I’m proud of him. Having a brother who has done what Kyle has doesn’t make it easier for him, but he got the monkey off his back and he did a great job.”

Ryle finished third overall in the state with 152 points, and had eight medalists, one off last year’s team record.

Connor Coyle (160) and Court Mace (171) finished third. Coach Ruschell was proud of the way they shook off tough losses that ended their state title hopes.

Mace lost 6-2 to eventual champ J.J. Jude of Johnson Central in a rematch of last year’s quarterfinal, which sent Mace to the hospital with a minor neck injury.

“My semifinal match didn’t go the way I wanted to, but I feel I wrestled well,” Mace said. “You have to keep your head up. You can’t mope around all day, you got to move on and keep wrestling, and that’s what I did.”

Gus Adams was fourth at 112. Caleb Lonkard was sixth at 145. Dallas Pruett (103), Corey Ahern (130) and Josh Parker (152) all finished seventh.

Six of Ryle’s state qualifiers are seniors, but the Raiders junior varsity had a strong season and the middle school team won the state title.

“We didn’t do what we came here to do, which was win a state championship, but I’m real proud to be on this team,” Mace said. “We’re such a close team and we love each other to death. I’m proud of every wrestler on this team and how hard we worked.”

Ruschell adds state title to wrestling family

No comments:

Post a Comment