Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ryle's Desmarais wins Jr. title

Written by Marc Hardin, Enquirer Contributor

Chris Desmarais continued a Ryle High School tradition during Tuesday's final round of the Northern Kentucky 7-Up Junior Golf Tour Championship at Boone Links by becoming the third Raider in a row to win the 18-under boys' title.

Desmarais, an incoming senior, shot a two-day score of 10-over-par 153. He edged runner-up Brad Litzinger (154) of Mason County. Incoming Northern Kentucky University freshman golfer Zach Wright (158) placed third among the six 18-under golfers who made the first-day cut.


Ryle senior-to-be Blake Hamilton won the 18-under event the past two years.  Desmarais carded five birdies for a 77 the first day at Lassing Pointe, but that was only good for a three-way tie with Wright and Dixie Heights' Blake Adkins. Desmarais had just one birdie during the second round. But he came in one shot better, with a 76, thanks to bevy of pars.

"The first day, I started well and I ended well," Desmarais said. "Usually, I start slower. But I birdied 4 and 5 and then I birdied 12, 15 and 18. That gave me momentum for the second day."  It was Desmarais' third birdie-propelled victory on tour this season. He won with six birdies at Fairways en route to a score of 4-under 67 and he carded five birdies while shooting 5-under 67 at Triple Crown.

"My irons have been better and I'm hitting a lot of greens. I'm a good putter, so that helps," said Desmarais, who relies on accuracy off the tee as a way to compensate for a still-developing long game.

"A win like this gives me a lot of confidence and a lot of momentum for the high school season."

Ryle's Desmarais wins Jr. title

No comments:

Post a Comment